Monday, September 6, 2010

Microwave Ovens and patience

Hello all, I hope I have your attention, as I have a question I would like an answer to.

I am trying a series of font, letter sizes and colours I seek your comments on preference.

First up I have just discovered that the blog I thought I had saved..........................I hadn't; so here goes with patience and a 2nd shot.

Before I get into the microwave oven I will share our tough experience last week when Willie, Karen and I co-facilitated a session, and Karen who did so much preparation was left unable to contribute for much of the allocated time due to ICT issues. It was a challenging session for us all. I was quite apprehensive as I am very much a performer who works with a group, and I use all my senses to 'read' the class or group I am with, of course there are very limited reading points in this new world I am learning about so I wondered how I would find my hooks to move into the group, it felt as if and of course it was that I was blind to the break out room participants.

Microwave ovens, now an accepted tool in many kitchens, in fact the only cooking point in some very recently apartments based on the premise the occupants will eat out or reheat TV diners. The microwave, a result of man walking on the moon, as a cooking medium swept into common usage about 30 years ago. At that time they were large, cumbersome, noisy and quite demanding. Adept marketing had prepared consumers to believe the microwave oven was the next best thing to sliced bread. A raft of tools, recipe books and champion cooks were used to move the conventional cook to adopting a virtual interloper to the kitchen domain. We discovered the distinct advantages of integrating microwave cookery into our conventional preparation so that it became an accompaniment to food preparation. In some kitchens it became the only style of cooking as can be witnessed by the inside of the cooking cavity

Moving this analogy into our web world there are many parallels; we know how to facilitate, and now here is a new way of doing it, but wait can I cross use the same knowledge, tools and experiences? as it turns out, no; not really, I can use some of the basis but I must cross-reference immediately to what the demands are of this new way of communicating. I find there is an oversupply of support tools and information, I may utilize this and I may just ignore it, depending on the type of learner I am. For those people for whom this works and are able to change and grow with the opportunities offered they will spend quite some time with their microwave oven, and for others after a try it will languish with other 'toys' until it can be gifted on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane

    I am going to be brutal. I have serious problems with your blog. I always find it difficult to read - the background looks beautiful but, to my opinion, is far too 'busy'. Personally, I think you a plainer background. If you keep this background, please go back to the white font. The green is unreadable. The yellow is slightly better.

    As for the microwave, the more you use it, the better results you'll get in your cooking.

    cheers Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane
    I have to agree with Sarah - I gave up trying to read the coloured fonts. A plain background would make it much easier on the eye to read. But it looks like you're having fun playing around with the options!
    Cheers
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete