Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Mini helped by "The path of least resistance- Robert Fritz"

Robert talks about the creative process in way that is freeing but at the same time may be trying for those who need parameters or even 'should do's'.

So I begin with the end picture in mind, much like a 'Merlin' experience I then work back from the success. This approach removes the hopelessness of complex tasks weighing me down.
With a picture I have more information than can possibly be achieved with words; as I describe this picture and how it came to be I provide knowledge on the steps forward.

If I look at the image from many angles, add and take away elements, turn it over to see from below, above, inside and out the terms of reference of the image change or fill out, and thereby fills out the concept.

I will reflect on how this approach helps or hinders my mini preparation.

Learning is a dynamic activity which has been proved yet again with developing my mini approach.

Later I will post what my vision is and then the steps to the reality, I welcome comment from participants and readers of this blog,

2 comments:

  1. hi Jane, I am not too sure what you mean by a merlin experience...can you explain a little more?

    cheers Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure can.

    The team creating the concept are prepared to sit for a discussion in a comfortable situation. The facilitator takes the role of a reporter; 1 or 2 others sit to the side recording the session and creating from it.
    The 'reporter' introduces the team as if interviewing them at the successful opening or winning a wonderful prize for their company. The reporter and team talk about the wonderful event as it is happening, and then the reporter gradually takes the creator back through the months/years of the creation. Each member of the team has had specific rolls during the set up period, and as the team warms up the story of how the event/company etc begins to unfold.
    Aside the scribe [generally with a roll of butcher paper] is setting out the details coming forward into a time line with activities. The reporter teases out information filling out the picture, the team bounce the experience they have had off one another as they created this dream.

    I was involved with this when on the board of Northland Youth Theatre. We were moving out of premises and wanted to create a permanent home and performance school. An animated facilitator helped us create a 'Fame'school. By the end of the exercise the scribe had the action plan, the strategic plan and the timeline, that just needed filling out with relevant details.

    It was a stunning experience and one I have used since, it has those involved developing a deep understanding and vision for the future, visual memory is created in the future.

    why is it called a Merlin? its magic!

    ReplyDelete