Thursday, October 28, 2010

Building confidence


This week I have used tools and enjoyed experiences.

On Tuesday I facilitated a session for World OT day; a subject I have only a layperson's experience of. Although I had 'played' in Elluminate this was to be the real thing, so armed with a whisky and soda I started up and was relieved to have Sarah there to talk me through lining up 2 PPTs.
It being a world wide event meant an inclusive ice-breaker was required, but a fast one, in addition I wanted to reduce the 'testing equipment' time as much as possible and worked on an assumption most participants had previously been into other rooms, therefore come with experience.

Using the mic I asked everyone to test their audio and put their hand up or text their success. Then I asked people to say high and provide a word or two describing their environment or country but on text.

27 people came into the room, most arriving close together with a few latecomers. The style of presentation was 3 ppts from presenters, plus the one on Elluminate etiquette. This mean there was straight dialogue and no interaction with participants. There was activity on the text I am relieved to say.

Periodically I would pop something onto the text welcoming someone or providing encouragement/affirmation to the speakers. Once the presentation period was done it was question time when I reminded people of etiquette, my final action was to time the conversations out to fit in with the session ending and provide a url to the next session.

As it was a hour long I managed to complete most of a Killer Soduku puzzle and all of my whiskey and soda, phew that was important.

It was a whole lot easier than I planned for, I relaxed and enjoyed myself; I felt a bit for the listeners, as that is all they were. The style of presentation provided a clear example of how important it is to have interaction, some of these sessions were happening at night or during the night and that meant people were waking up or staying up past their normal time, to sit and not be involved would be difficult I think.

The following day I spent time with a fellow 0-lf student in Elluminate and that provided more experience and was a comfortable space of discussion and support. After that my special guest for the 9th met me in Elluminate and we discussed the session construction, her role and the tools she would use to ensure engagement with the group. Tomorrow I am meeting a fellow student in Elluminate to go through a presentation, so all in all I am getting plenty of experience.

I saw that WizIQ is being used for the presentation and that is something I could have done to0; almost regret not doing it now, however to secure learning at a basic level in this case in Elluminate, is useful for me as it suits my learning style and provides a discipline for someone known for their flitting hither and thither.

I have pushed the boat out and advertised my mini on twitter and facebook and course email as well as here, which means I may have other participants than just fellow students. I have not put the url on either site as I want to screen who comes in. I am mindful that this is not my 'property' to be handing out.

I have also used Doodle as an invitation tool, as well as the timeclock and tiny url tool on WikiEducator.

At this time I am committed to participating next semester to enjoy the environment again and become more confident with the tools I have really only started coming to terms with. Like ACE [Adult Community Education] one time round is not enough for me, so twice round will set me up nicely and I hope to provide support to others as they jump into this awesome playpit. Also I am aware that life will come along and subsume me, taking part for a 2nd round will remind me of where I am heading.

As I sign off I have a vision of a great wave coming to shore. I have been apon a surfboard on that wave, enjoying the exhilaration of the ride, I see the shore, the wave is dying, am I coming in or finding another wave?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, I love the analogy of the waves and the surf...I still feel like that even though I have been an online facilitator for some years. I think the key is to go with the wave, not to fight it :)

    I really enjoyed your facilitation of the OT event...thank you for taking on this...it was quite daunting but you handed it with aplomb. I especially liked the short but sweet ice breaker you used. You didn't have time to have an involved activity but I thought the one you used was enough to get people using the text box if nothing else. I shall use that ice breaker in my next session :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who surf and do it well, will tell you that the great waves (and surfing ride) come from being in the surf, not waiting on the beach for that perfect one. The central idea here, is that you've got to be doing it, experiencing it - to catch the thrill!

    - WikiRandy

    ReplyDelete