Sunday, November 14, 2010

OF2010 what did it do?

Learning.

Educators are that fortunate position of experiencing a lot of education, most often we are giving it and hopefully often we are also receiving it. We are critical evaluators benchmarking against our own vast experience and other examples. We are reflective practitioners much like other professionals, and we take this role seriously. We therefore know when we have been served well and when not.

WE HAVE BEEN!

Did I learn new and useful things? truckloads, I am still overwhelmed by those loads and it will take sometime to work through it all, I am figuring by the time the next course starts I will be in a better position and learn again. So you can take it from the earlier sentence that it was challenging enough. There is challenging and there is challenging. I have recently finished a national certificate in Lit and Num; that was challenging. The challenge was the level of patronage, overworked detail, yawning boredom of the work, the challenge was staying with and completing. The value? I will probably never know, time will be the teller, here and now I give it 2 on a 1-10 scale.
The challenges with this course were many. I would have liked to have been able to spend much more time on-line, the family couldn't believe I was always on my lappie. The headspace to go to the sites and learn over the course of the paper, I just haven't been able to do that, but i now know i have youtube and Sarah's site there as well as other kind people. I need to learn how to make a youtube clip, that is on my list.

The course facilitator did do a good job, she did a very good job. My first meeting with her was on the WE page, now I have seen a few of these and expected this course to run true to them, well it didn't and it hasn't in any way, it has started its own paradigm of excellence, I wonder how long it will be solitary. OP also needs a deal of credit here for being, in my opinion, the benchmark provider in NZ of on-line learning and I am happy for that to go to the CE [Auckland Uni, Waikato, Massey and NorthTec can't get near], and therefore for employing such quality people as Sarah and her colleagues, take a bow OP; love to work in such an environment, they obviously do exist.

I have a thought or suggestion. There a number of basic things I have not learnt, and I guess i could have, anyway how about a glossary of things we really are tripping up and on how to do that?
I will put up, embedding links into blogs, organising the upper ribbon of screens open, I know I have been over that with Sarah but it hasn't sunk in. Maybe on the opening WE page there could be a checklist of tools or skills that would be useful to have started before the course, so that practice continues right the way through, they are simple things but so useful.

Applied learning-
This week I am setting up a FB and Wordpress blog for my business as well as linking my twitter account acethat. My domain goes live as well as my email addresses. I will be in set up mode for a month as well as out F2F marketing "tai chi for this time in your life" the first is For Mums and Mums to Be. I will connect all this together and keep this blog going to have grand explosions, when steam needs to blow, no names. I have asked to included in on-line facilitation opportunities as them come along and will be pitching my skills to a range of organisations as an OLF.

I have recommended this course to a vast range of people and will blogging, FB and emailing them well before it is due to start, I have a list of a dozen people so far.




1 comment:

  1. Have you seen this? http://sarah-stewart.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-picks-for-edublogs-awards-2010.html

    I can truthfully say I wrote it before you read your kind words here :):)

    I like the idea of a check list of skills before you start the course. I am not sure if people will work their way through it beforehand, but I might try that next year. The snag is...it's knowing when to stop with the list of skills. The course is not about teaching digital literacy...but digital literacy is very bound up in the course...it's the chicken and egg scenario.

    Anyway....I have really enjoyed your company. Your participation has contributed hugely to the course. I look forward to watching how you go on your digital journey :)

    ReplyDelete