Monday, November 8, 2010

Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome-its over

er well, it went kind of ok, I would give myself 6/10; 1 off for forgetting to turn on the recorder at the beginning, I was worried about one of my visitors not getting into the room which distracted me. 1 off for my intro slide and activity was the London Underground Map on which I was going to trace my very regular journeys and ask others to do similar, I stuffed that up totally. I also didn't realise a dial on my headset had been pushed which was the source of my audio problems, would you know it; so that is three points. The forth thing was I went into organiser mode, one my family recognise soo well, and really was a bit of a bamboozleer or sargant major that was through wanting to get it right. All these observations are about my facilitation skills which is what the mini-conference was about. I am a confident facilitator/coach and now I need to tune myself for this alternative platform.

That all said, I feel really relaxed in the arena, its a good place to be. My fellow students joined in and included quite a range, my awesome guest did her stuff and stimulated discussion and comment. The more I do the more I will improve, I do know what I need to work on [at least I think so-all suggestions gratefully received].

I am so pleased I did this paper.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are far too hard on yourself, Jane. I would give you 10 out of 10!!

    You are a fabulous facilitator. You are organised...you think hard about how you're going to manage technical issues and you consider how to support the newbies. I am learning from you about ice breakers which you facilitate so well. You are very inclusive and you care that everyone has a good time.

    As for the things you did like forget to turn the recorder on...we all do that...that's a small thing to worry about, in the grand scheme of things.

    I do agree that you have a bit of a 'sergeant major' persona in the live sessions which you do not have when we are talking in a casual context. This can be a tad off-putting....but at least you keep us all in order and to time LOl . But I am sure as you become more confident, you will relax into "you". The other thing I think you need to focus on is building your networks so you have a wider reach when it comes to advertising events like this.

    I think you are a fabulous online facilitator. You are enthusiastic, willing to try everything and willing to learn. Thanks for this fabulous session...look forward to working with you on projects like this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and I would like to work with you in the future, just confirming that.

    ReplyDelete